What is MECS?
Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS) is a free service available at Prab Boparai Opticians, an accredited Opticians in Wolverhampton.
If you have had a recent eye condition this service can assess and treat you.
When to use MECS
The MECS service is available as an alternative option to presenting at Accident & Emergency for the diagnosis and treatment of minor eye conditions.
MECS can be accessed on a self-referral basis or alternatively your GP may refer you onto MECS if appropriate.
Recent eye conditions that can be treated by this service include:
- Red eyes or eyelids
- Dry eyes, gritty ad uncomfortable eyes
- Irritation and inflammation of the yes
- Significant sticky discharge or watery eye
- Recently occurring or sudden increase of flashes or floaters
- Painful eye
- Ingrowing eyelashes
- Recent and sudden reduced vision
- Something in your eye
Please note this is not an eyesight examination.
If you are unsure whether your symptoms can be assessed and treated by the service, please do contact us.
You should go to A&E if you have…
MECS is most certainly an alternative to A&E, where we some patients currently go. There are some circumstances however when only A&E will do:
- Considerable eye pain
- Significant trauma such as penetrating injury or lacerations
- Chemical injury or burns
- Problems arising from recent eye surgery.